I'm a photographer, not a book keeper. And I made the AWESOME decision to hire a book keeper this year; however, that didn't void me of my previous responsibilities to keep up with creating general invoices this past year! I LOOOOOVE my new book keeper - I mean, he really is going to help me SO much, but I have learned a few things...
1) Thus far, my process for tracking my deposits sucked. I'm now going to be a ROCKSTAR at this!
2) Invoices don't create themselves, Eliesa. Hence, the last 18 hours of me making calls to my bank wondering what check that was...
3) PC Quickbooks is much easier than MAC Quickbooks
4) If any of you photographers are thinking about getting Shoot Q...it really IS amazing and I highly recommend it, but it is a bitch if you get it in the middle of the year and it places deposits double in Quickbooks.
5) I now understand why Judd was so, incredibly frustrated with me ;0)
On the GOOD side of things:
1) I learned
2) I learned
3) I learned
4) I learned
5) I learned
6) I'm going to be a MUCH better business owner because of it!
The moral of the story is to not be afraid of things. Owning a business and keeping track of all your receipts, invoices, payments and clients is a LOT to remember. Yet, if you want to do this, you best learn to embrace the process. I highly recommend hiring someone to take care of the things you that are not your forte (like my lovely book keeper who will save my life from this point on) - so you can do what you do best - take photographs.
It's all a part of Livin' the DREAM!